Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Glow worm


For two nights, there had been a green light by my door. The second night I got my flashlight and decided it was some kind of grub. I happened to be having coffee with a very expert ecologist of Malta and asked what creatures lit up. He said either a beetle or larvae of beetles. We drew pictures for each other and he, after giving the Latin and Maltese names for the creature (neither of which I recall), said it was a glow worm. He noted that they were an indicator of clean air. I said my place was surrounded mostly by fields that hadn't recently been plowed and by some trees. So, the dustiness that comes from the winds, traffic, and building/quarrying was less intense. Anyway, I managed to take a photo last night that at least shows the bright glow.

No comments: