Saturday, December 1, 2007

Victoria Lines






I share an office with Paula, who does the administrative work for the Mediterranean Journal of Human Rights. She is one energetic person! She told me about a "walk" the Malta Geographical Society was having yesterday and asked if I would like to come. I said yes. I took the bus down to Valetta, where the group was getting picked up. Off we went. We walked at a good pace for 2.5 hours. That was quite a ramble. We went from a place near Chadwick Lakes (actually an irrigation project) to Mgarr [sounds like emjar]. There are two Mgarrs, this is the one on Malta, not on Gozo. The walk took us up and along what are called the Victoria Lines. Malta has a series of limestone ridges and this is one of them. While walking I suddenly realized that clumps of leaves were really bulbs like paperwhites. I asked and people said yes, they would bloom in January. I can hardly wait. Also, up in the area we were in we found wild thyme and many other fragrant leaves. Quite nice!

This set of photos begins (at the top) with a picture of Paula in the foreground and her friend Hilda. It has scenes from the way up the hill to the limestone formation.

No comments: